28.11.16

Bir kedi alırım, sen de anneni çağır.

-Bring yourself back online Bernard.

-Theresa? She's gone. I killed her. What have I done? What have I done?

-This guilt you feel, the anguish, the horror, the pain it's remarkable, a thing of beauty.

-I'm a killer. My God. My God.

-God has nothing to do with it. You killed her because I told you to. And you should be proud of these emotions you're feeling.

- Proud? - Yeah.

-After all, you yourself were the author of so many of them.Then, when we started, the hosts' emotions were primary colors. Love, hate. I wanted all the shades in between. The human engineers were not up to the task, so I built you, and together you and I captured that elusive thing Heart.

-I don't understand. I cared for Theresa. Loved her. Why did you make me kill her?

-"One man's life or death were but a small price to pay for the acquirement of the knowledge which I sought, for the dominion I should acquire." All of the beauty you and I have made in this place, the art of it, they would have destroyed it. They would have destroyed you. I won't let that happen. Besides, we have a new story to tell.

-I will not help you. I'll raze this place to hell!

- That's enough, Bernard. That's enough. You're not the first man to threaten me. Arnold came to feel the way you do. He couldn't stop me either. And as exquisite as this array of emotions is even more sublime is the ability - to turn it off. I don't need a simulacrum of an emotionally ruined man.
I need you to be yourself, your true self Smart, resourceful, capable of covering your tracks.
Can you do that for me, Bernard?

-How would you like me to proceed?

-I need you to clean up your mess, Bernard, any connection that ties us to Theresa's untimely demise. When you have finished, I will give you the one thing you want most right now. I will free you from those memories of what you have done. And the memory of your relationship with Theresa. Recalling it would only deepen your grief and potentially draw unwanted attention. Best to move forward with clear eyes. When you look back, you will remember Theresa with the fondness of a respected colleague. And you will be at peace.

No comments: